Thursday, November 26, 2009

Stephen's Center Thanksgiving

I've been rather out of the blogging loop, at least for these past few weeks. The school year was dragging on and on; then November hit and wham! I feel like I blinked and now it's almost December.

This is my "sequel" year here in Albania. We all know that the sequels are never as great as the originals. The novelty loses its luster. Sometimes I feel like people won't want to read about another Marine Ball or another Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, however, is one of those holidays that gets richer with tradition. Our established two year tradition is to go the the Stephen's Center for Thanksgiving dinner.

My Albania family gathered at Stephen's Center for another delicious meal followed by the most delicious pumpkin pie (made with real pumpkins as opposed to the canned... no bright orange color!) Travis and Amy joined us this year as well as our newest friend, Matt. I was especially thankful for Amy and Travis because Travis led us in prayer. (Sometimes I feel like I'm a big chicken when it comes to leading prayer around people who have a different faith than I do, even when those people are my best friends.)

We also shared favorite Thanksgiving traditions or memories. I shared about the theatrical presentations that I wrote staring my younger brother (usually playing the native, but who once made an appearance as Abraham Lincoln), my cousin Kim and me. Other cousins would join, but it was usually the three of us. Thinking about those plays made me miss my brother tremendously. Maybe someday, I'll share Thanksgiving with my real family again.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Americans!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above the heavenly host
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Amen




P.S. Look for a new post next week~ I'm off to Athens tomorrow.

3 comments:

Matt De Korte said...

Matt 1.0 misses you like crazy...

love ya

Melinda aka Passionfruit said...

have a great time in Athens, I will be looking forward to the next blog entry! we miss you too and are looking forward to Christmas, love,
Melinda and Geno

Kit said...

Never NEVER tire of your blogs... no matter how many Marine balls you attend... we want all the dish!!! No pics of the ball? hmmmm... have a pomegranate time in Athens - wow! another adventure, can't wait to hear all about it!