Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Missionary Life

Rarely do I use this blog as a religious platform. But, I've been sick for two days and have had time to think.   As one thought led to another, I found myself back in my hometown's Costco parking lot. It was the Christmas season and my mother and I saw a man from church.  He asked me if I was still teaching overseas and if I was still enjoying it.  "Yes," I replied, "And I am enjoying it very much."  He smiled, patted me on the shoulder and said, "Well keep doing the Lord's work." 

I did not correct him and say, "But I'm not a missionary teacher!  I teach privileged children, children of diplomats, business men, aide workers.  I teach children whose concept of family is a driver and a nanny who wait on their every whim.  These are not the children of missionaries."  No, I did not say that.  I said, "I will." and walked away.

My mother turned to me and said, "Are you a missionary?"  Do I raise funds?  No.  Do I travel for enjoyment?  Yes.  In the literal sense, I am not a missionary.  But, in the Biblical sense, I am.  I live in the world, but I am not of it.   I respect and support the literal missionary, but may I remind my Christ following friends, that we are all called to the world. Turning into a Christian chrysalis is not as beneficial as becoming the butterfly.


2 comments:

Melinda aka Passionfruit said...

extarordinarily (sp?) well said.

IamMe.IamHIS.Iamfree. said...

GOD's work is the work that HE called you to do, (whether it is being a preacher or a teacher, or a full time mother or even a janitor) and doing it with humility and giving all glory to GOD, even when it is hard... Non believers love to watch believers and see how they would handle a stressful situation. YOU are doing GOD's work! and when you are living the life GOD wants you to live and striving everyday to follow Jesus then He will bless you. I pray right now in the name of Jesus, that GOD bless you and your family because it is not easy to live the life GOD wants for you, but you seem to be doing a great job of it.