Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mount Dajti

Time for the weekend report! We went on Hash today and hiked a mountain. At first, I thought I was going to die. Then, I found my stride and totally enjoyed myself. As usual, I met interesting people. (Have I mentioned that the most common age for an Albanian man is 23? It's sort of frustrating.) It began to rain as we reached the top, so the pictures are incredibly blurry. Still, it's worth seeing the mountain I can see from my classroom window!
This is the view from our starting location. Yes, I made it to the top. I'm really considering joining the Half Dome First Christian hike if I'm ever around for it. Two of these hikes a month will definitely train me! Marcy, I thought of you and Renato. There was a family from our school with their 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. The kids did so great and didn't complain at all!
Another cute shot of Holly, Tracey and Sarah! These girls (meaning my friends, not me) are so fit. Sarah pretty much led the group the entire time!
Mount Dajti is known for its cable car. We parked at the top of the cable car (I can't WAIT to ride it!) and had "coffee" after the hike at the cafe connected to the cable car. (Of course, I had tea.)
You can sort of see the cable car in the trees. I had imagined a really rickety contraption so seeing the actual car got me really excited. Oh, and that's Tirana in the background.

1 comment:

aprilmae said...

I love the Anne and Gilbert bridge! I just reread (for the 40th time) Anne of Avonlea because I wanted to read about her expereiences as a first year teacher now that I have my own. I can't believe how similar they are, and Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote the book in 1912, or something like that! So then of course I was on an Anne kick, and read the next two books and watched Anne of Green Gables. Sigh! I just love that part at the end when Gilbert gives up Avonlea school for her and caresses her cheek! Now I just need to find time to watch Anne of Avonlea. Okay, now that I just went off on my obsession for Anne, let me know what is going on with you this Sat. Maybe a morning skype chat?