Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Eventful Saturday

I survived the most eventful Saturday to date. And boy am I tired. But, take a look at this beautiful picture! We hiked straight up the side of a cliff for this view of the Adriatic Sea. The walk through the underbrush was too painful (scratched legs..I should have taken a picture), so we followed the road down and spent the rest of the time in the sea. It was warm and clear. I made a new Albanian friend who said that Durres beaches can't compare to the south. That's what I've been hearing for over 3 weeks and I'm very eager to go. Anyhow, I spent a ton of time swimming. We saw sea urchins. Mommy, will you send me my snorkeling gear please??? Before you do that, let me see how much it is around here...

Not something I've seen in Albania until yesterday. We made our curriculum director slow down for this shot! If you look to the left you might see the chicken in the trash too. Ha! We raced back to Tirana (which is about 1:30 away from Durres with Saturday traffic) to prepare for the soccer match...Albania vs. Sweden! My friend Entela got us tickets from the Swedish embassy because she used to work for them as a translator. Normally, it's difficult for Westerners to find tickets!
We sat in the Sweden section (I swear I never have felt more like a girl without a country) but secretly cheered for Albania. The Albanians were very spirited in their sea of red and black. The Swedes were too. I don't have a picture of the man dressed up in a yellow chicken suit. Imagine Big Bird.
I tried to get a good shot of number 11. He looked about 12 years old, but boy could he kick! The Swedish players towered over him. Tracey, who knows and plays soccer, said he was the star of the game. I just wanted to give him a hug. Anyhow, the final score was 0-0. I really wanted to see Albania score to witness the craziness! They had drummers and fireworks on standby.
Here we are! Stephen, our friend from work, took the picture. It's Sarah, me (obviously), Entela, and Tracey. Afterward, the four of us went for crepes...yum! I totally enjoy my new friends' humor. Then, I went with Sarah and Tracey to the Block which is where the nightlife happens. Needless to say, I'm having an easy-peasey Sunday! After church, I did hang out with a pal, and tonight we're going to a new-for-us restaurant. It has a flaming cheese dish. I wonder if it comes with a fire extinguisher?

6 comments:

Jody said...

Holly,

I love reading and seeing your pictures. I think it is wonderful how quickly you adjusted and settled in. What a wonderful experience you are having!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely sounding Saturday, despite the scratched up legs! You are certainly making the most of your Albanian adventure. What a life.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is listed in my bookmarks right under Michelle's! I love checking in with you often. Thanks for the frequent updates and just think what a great journal you'll have of your Albanian experience.

Jennifer said...

The soccer game looked like so much fun! We are all enjoying your blogs.

Marya said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed reading about your experiences! I'm very impressed with you diving head first into the blogosphere!

Theresa said...

Hi Holly!
You sound like you are really having a ball! I'll echo Chris and Jennifer in saying that I am enjoying reading about your adventures and seeing your fabulous pics! (You look great by the way...)!!!