Thursday, September 25, 2008

What on Earth...

Have you ever just had a day?? I have! Today, in fact. Actually, it began last night.... Before, we left for dance class (which was fun, by the way), I got the "bright" (ha,ha) idea of changing three of my light bulbs. I can hear the dumb light bulb jokes now... I successfully changed one out. Then, I attempted the next. I got the bulb out, but the base was still attached. I carefully managed that one... Onto the third! I noticed that I was going to have the same issue as the second, and since I was in a precarious position (on top of the washing machine), I decided to leave that bulb alone. I climbed down (carefully) and reached for the light switch... after the explosion and shattered glass, I realized that I had blown that fuse. Grrrr. I didn't have any lights in my hallway, which is actually really long. I cleaned up my mess and left. On the way home from class, I stepped in a mud puddle about a mile deep. Another Grrr. So, that was my night...
This morning, I woke up and went to take my shower. You guessed it. I didn't have ANY water. I couldn't even take a icy shower. I warmed up some water on the stove and used that to at least wash my face. Amazing the many compliments I received on my hair today! It was pulled back and up... Grrrr.
I was officially initiated into kindergarten today. One of my cute little girls held my hand all recess long. I thought, "Oh, how sweet, she just wants to be near her fabulous, amazing teacher!" Wrong. Right before we were headed to P.E., I hear her cry one word, "Mom!!!" I asked her what was wrong, but she was crying. So, I did what we all do in this country. I picked her up and gave her a hug. She started coughing. Deeply. Then I felt something warm and oozy glide down my shoulder leaving a puddle on the floor. I raced her to the trash can and cleaned up the floor. Miss Egla walked the others to P.E. and I walked my sick one to the office. Then, I scurried home to change my shirt! That's the best thing about living on the edge of the school! I am now officially a kindergarten teacher...I've been barfed on. The funny thing is, it actually made me want to be a mother. I think I need therapy.
I've had other random occurrences that are noteworthy. I almost forgot to get my money that I wanted for this weekend, before our office closed. My classroom keys got stuck in my door when I was leaving and the nice cleaning lady got them out for me. I found out that I probably can't leave the country like I wanted to because the idiots who let me into the country didn't stamp my passport...and our Visas haven't come through!!! Grrr.
On the flip side, our fix-it man for the school changed my light bulbs and fixed my fuse, the water's back on, and I can laugh about the barfing situation! Honestly, I've learned more humility today than I care to admit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you need therapy, the barf was a reality check if I ever heard one! Too bad for all the Grrs today, but one can only look forward to the weekend! Loved this post, Holly!

Michelle (aka mybelle101) said...

Oh Holly!! {{{BIG HUGS}}}

If it makes you feel better, those days will come much more often when you *are* a mother ;) I'm glad you can see the bright side of it all, though!

I'm with Mel...great post! At least now we know it's not all just amazing food, gorgeous scenery, and guys wanting to dance all night ;) j/k!

Anonymous said...

We all need "one of those days" for reality checks once in awhile. I'm glad it doesn't happen to you EVERY day. :-) Thanks again for letting us all live vicariously through you!