Saturday, August 9, 2008

Swimming with Matt and Dan

Tuesdays with Morrie was all about gleaning wisdom from an old guy (I'll be P.C...a mature man). I found wisdom today, while swimming with my brother, Matt and his buddy Dan. I've been in the pool swimming laps 3-4 times in the last two weeks. Usually, I'll aimlessly swim 500, then kick a couple of laps, then maybe do some backstroke.... today was different. It was a workout! Here's the wisdom I acquired today:

Approach life with a plan~ aimlessly swimming through life might be fun, but does it actually tone your muscles? Not really! Swimming 2,000 yards effectively calls for some thought!

Live in the moment~ I was swimming backstroke, a stroke that I adore, but I was deep in thought. I was thinking about how I didn't want to start the breaststroke and how Matt has always been so much better at that stroke than me. Then, I got mad because I'm so slow at breaststroke. Before I knew it, I ran right into the wall with full momentum from my backstroke. Ouch. My head still hurts. Live in the moment and don't worry about the next stroke!

Take charge~ Two little rascals swam into my lane. Public swim was going on at the time. I had to kick them out (which I was glad to do) but I was shocked that the lifeguard didn't say anything. (The boys did try to do some back talking...that's when I got teachery!)

Live for the joy~ I really hate going to the gym. But swimming, walking and biking are pleasures! I don't think God intended us to torture ourselves into shape...challenge, yes, but we should enjoy it. Swimming brings me joy!

Who would have thought I could learn so much in 45 + minutes in the pool? Thanks, guys, for letting the older (but not wiser) sister tag along!!!!

3 comments:

Matt De Korte said...

Glad my inadequacy at swimming could bring such inspiration :)

aprilmae said...

Holly, you dove right in to the blogging world. I am impressed - you are putting mine to shame. Hope you made it to Tirana safely. Post asap!

Unknown said...

Fran invited me to read your blog and I can't believe what a wonderful experience you are having! The experiences you are getting will live with you for the rest of your life. Mike Ewald